Friday, May 30, 2008

Sex & the City

Yes. I was there at midnight.

I was initially going to type up a long, in-depth review of the Sex and the City movie. I decided against it for two reasons; one reason is that I will spoil the movie if I do, and the other reason is just because I don't really feel like it anymore.

The film is not disappointing. The glamour is there, the innovative fashion is definitely there, and the essence of the four girlfriend's bond continues. If you like the TV show for these reasons, then you will adore the movie and cry like my ridiculous sister. If you like weddings and babies and cheesiness, you will probably go watch the movie again.

Photobucket

I began watching Sex and the City when I was only about thirteen. Let's just say I learned a lot about many things from watching this on HBO when I was most likely way too young. But that is how I do most things anyway...
I loved it because I loved Carrie. I loved how real she was, I love how she expressed herself, and what she represented. In my juvenile mind, she represented the "new" woman: independent, smart, savvy, and effortlessly fashionable. She was a writer, and of course that also has a lot to do with why she was my hero at one point. A point in my life when I was obviously a lot more impressionable.
I miss that Carrie... that smoked too many cigarettes and was always looking for something more. The Carrie that did not take crap from anyone and always had something to say. She stood on her own two feet and set herself apart by always being true to herself. In an effort to make this movie more marketable, HBO did away with a lot of the raw acting and dialogue... there is still some left, but it is easily concealed under the constant label dropping, her love for Mr. Big, a way bigger budget... and Jennifer Hudson? WTF.

Cute movie, but I prefer my Season 1 re-runs any day of the week.

No comments: