Tuesday, July 22, 2008

A Walk

I pull the thick wool coat tighter across my body as I step outside. The streets are quiet and pretty, even at night. The colorful Victorians in their neat rows are gently illuminated by the tall street lamps. After purposely choosing the steepest of the small hills, I begin walking at a quicker pace. My cheeks become warm and the fog and the wool are heavy on my shoulders. As I continue with no set destination, my thoughts are mixed and my emotions dulled. Anyone who contemplates this situation would call me a fool, what happened to your character? How dare you feel sorry for yourself! You got exactly what you wanted! What was that? I think I forgot... My own apartment in this beautiful city, far enough from everything that has been my life so far. I believe I wished for novelty and adventure. The streets that are approaching are not familiar; I glance inside every lit window wondering about those who may be resting inside- Are they happy, complete? My mind is still working quickly, the park is in view now, expanding much farther than what I can see. After surveying my options, I decide to walk into the most dense part of the brush. Branches stick out in almost every direction but my clothes protect me from their sharpness and I easily step over fallen trunks that are tangled all over the ground. Though it is very dark, I am not scared. I hear nothing but my breathing that has become heavier. Before long, I can no longer see the street and the passing of cars has become completely inaudible. Finally, a slow smile creeps over my face… Here, in the middle of nature, I no longer feel so lonely. The night is wide and the huge expanse of trees is everywhere. I am enveloped in their cold embrace. The stars are few and far between, but I have overlooked them anyway. My head is as clear as the air and the soil is making my jeans wet but I don’t bother to notice as I sit in the company of uncertainty.

No comments: